House of Three Wars



By the way, that's not Doomdreg. That's Scout, Anne's much better behaved cat. Doomdreg doesn't particularly care about Christmas orbs (Scout's word not mine) because he doesn't see them as big enough to threaten him.




There was this book I was reading - Guide to Writing Fiction: Sci Fi and Fantasy, or something like that, published by Usborne, and in that book about writing sci fi and fantasy, there were a couple pages on how to make a good villain. (I'll have to admit, the bit about motives wasn't that great. I generally like to understand why my evil character has the loony motive that they do. I mean, I get that Haili Skystar wants to destroy humanity, but why does she want that? It's not a motivation that makes much sense unless you know the story behind it; wanting to genocide an entire species, forget race, is not a natural human desire. I have this problem a lot with my evil characters - but then, they'll probably never show up in the book as anything more than cardboard characters, so why bother?)

Anyway, another piece of advice they gave was on introducing some comedy. I don't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this: "Try mixing your biggest, craziest and most powerful bad guys with the most everyday of problems. The Dark Lord (I capitalized those letters to reference Voldemort) trying to fix a stuck toilet, for instance, can be pretty funny."

And I thought, "Yeah, I wouldn't want to see what would happen if Anne of the zero recommendable practical skills, beside holding up banks, tried to fix a stuck toilet. Outside of a comedy strip, anyway." Of course that's exactly what TSA is. . .




The Sith Jedi dynamic can get pretty weird at times. Anne and Ava know each other well and care about one another deeply (although neither one of them would trust the other to watch a dead fish head; there's a reason Ava sleeps armed). On the other hand, Anne is the future leader of the Sith (the future only Sith, actually) and Ava is the future leader of the Jedi, so by birth they are enemies.

On the other hand, it gives me a really convenient way to end the story. If ever I want to end the strip, I will have Anne convert to the Light Side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Booting Back Up

Overly Realistic Dad Jokes

Introducing Rachel! And Other Comics